Skip to main content

An Open Letter To My (Sister Wife) Pioneer Great-Grandmothers




       Dear Female Ancestors, 
       
       It's 2020 and society at large still can't stop talking about our bodies; specifically, how we dress. If we choose to cover up, we're seen as prudish or even oppressed by men. People assume that because we covered up, we did so because we were told our bodies were distractions or stumbling blocks for men. They think we were somehow bullied into wearing something that covers our shoulders and hides cleavage. If we show more skin, we're seen as wild. Heaven forbid we're showing our shoulders or knees when abuse comes our way, the things that would be said of us...

       If only they knew that we do not live in modesty out of shame or guilt. We wear clothing that makes us feel dignified and honored, yes. But do they understand that modesty is an intention? As we strive to live the law of chastity, we make an effort not to step into a provocative mindset as we get dressed and present ourselves to the world. 

       "Woke" people also discriminate against and mock our sacred clothing. People have made Halloween costumes out of our sacred garb. They're obsessed with degrading us and the things we hold closest to our hearts. I'm grateful we don't feel the same stresses that some of you felt when you gave up everything for your faith. Still, can I confess to you how frustrating it is to know that people are making fun and ridiculing something they'll never understand? I'm tired. I'm tired for my sisters of other religions, too. This world can be a really hard place for anyone who loves the God of Abraham. 


       A lot of people volunteer their anger and offense on behalf of faithful LDS women. They have a lot to say about women not holding the priesthood. They've confused the true nature of the priesthood with a sign of God's love and favor, claiming that somehow women are less "valued" or blessed because they don't have this responsibility. With no grasp of the priesthood, they cannot know the inherent, irrevocable value and divinity in womanhood alone. They can't see that bestowing the priesthood upon men actually restores equality. We aren't missing out on any blessings. God did not create us so that he could hate or oppress us. Women are not damned or given less in life to bear. We've never been denied opportunities to gain exaltation. Why do they feel the need to tear down our men for abuse that we do not suffer? If only our critics knew how much damage they do to our women when they protest and demean us. Imagine what the world would be like if they'd all actually learn what we believed and how we lived instead of going off of one poorly researched, slanderous comment. How different would this world be if they could feel the genuine joy we women experience from being faithful and righteous?

       Righteous women are ill-understood by onlookers. Those who'd have us reject our fatih haven't read Ammon's words to King Lamoni's Queen when he spoke, "Blessed art thou, because of thy exceeding faith; I say unto thee, woman, there has not been such great faith among all the people of the Nephites" and felt the spirit move them to righteous conviction. They have not felt their spirits lifted by scripture or received divine promises. Many would rather focus on brash criticism rather than investigate the everlasting joy of the Plan of Happiness. Our sisters are women of wisdom, and we know from where our strength is gained. 


       The same people who'd condemn and mock our history of polygamy would turn right around and promote their own "polyamory" and questioning the value of monogamy. They assume that every plural sealing was consummated and carried into day-to-day life. They assert their own emotions in place of yours, my dear grandmothers, and insist that you must surely have been coerced or forced to meet the largest trials of your lives. And they were mighty trials. Both the brethren and the sisters had at times described it as the hardest trial they'd ever faced. Still, I've read your words. I've received your testimonies that the marriage revelation was of divine origin. I've read your words professing the joy that you also felt, the strength you knew you were developing through obedience and sacrifice. You made your choice in faith, and your faith inspired the generations that would follow you. I look to you in my struggles and I feel empowered to fight on. 

       The others would look to the reasoning of mortal men to understand the law, and they are lost. We all often forget to consider Romans 11:33-36, which celebrates the mysteries and higher ways of God. We can never rely on the reasoning of man to understand the complexities of the commandments. We can, however, stay out of the way of those who are fiercely righteous and watch the miracles they reap. I am moved, every day by the righteousness and dedication of the women who've gone before me. No one can negate the blessings I've received because of them. 



       You, my dear sweet grandmothers, left a large legacy for me to grow into. You've set examples of loving, selfless service. I look at how our family has changed since you walked across America and I know your battles were not fought in vain. You helped shape the church and influenced this entire dispensation for the better. You paved the way for strong, spiritual women to live boldly in these, the latter days. I don't know that any of us can thank you enough for the roles you played. Because of your examples, our modern Relief Society is filled with glowing hearts, ready and willing to serve (and it doesn't matter who). We come together to help those in need, locally, globally, and in between. We rear children, impart insight to spouses, comfort neighbors and friends, and sustain our spirit brothers and sisters. We know our worth. We stand with dignity and integrity as representatives and followers of the Lord. 

       Thank you, pioneer sisters, for all that you've done for me. Thank you for carving out space in the realm of womanhood for those who wish to live covenant-honoring, personally dignified lives. Thank you for bearing the weight of so much controversy and confusion so that I might have the honor of defending you as I also defend the faith. 

A Note to My Readers:

      Thank you all for reading and sharing with others. It is an indescribable blessing to be able to spend my time uplifting others and sharing the gospel in my own way. I'm grateful for every promoting "like" and "share" my posts receive! Now, I have a couple of things to announce to all of you.

1) In every post, I try to incorporate talks, scriptures, and inspirational and informative videos in the green links. I highly encourage you to read them yourselves, study the context of scripture, and then go and share these sources with others! We need more of the Savior in our social media! In addition to that, I encourage you to share what you learned with others. I hope my words can provide an opportunity for learning and inspired conversation!

2) My posting schedule! I try to post every Wednesday and Sunday. I love to spend the Sabbath focusing on and teaching about Christ. I also love to share a little uplifting message in the middle of the week to sustain us. Be sure to keep your eyes open on these days for posts!

3) I'm looking to start a Wednesday series on world religions. I'd love to be able to share what others believe and what we as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have in common with them. The world is facing a great division and I'd love to be a force for good despite all of the chaos. Be sure to reach out to me and let me know what religions you'd like to learn about! 

Thanks again for everything! I'll never take the blessing of this platform for granted! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Brought Me Back to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

The Beginning        My name, Elisabeth, is the germanic variation of the Hebrew name, Elisheva (אלישבע). The meaning of my name is translated roughly to "consecrated to God" (we can do a Hebrew lesson later). This name, let me tell you, has proven to be the most beautiful, sacred aspect of my life.         God has been far kinder to me than I will ever deserve. Certainly, when I am in the celestial kingdom, I will be even more humbled having a full understanding of what all he's done on my behalf. I need to acknowledge that before I start this story. God is so merciful.         I was born into the church. My mother's a descendant of Danish pioneers who came to America with nothing but faith and then walked across the country to help settle Utah and build up the church. My dad, a marine descended from Irish immigrants, converted to the church when he was about 23 years old. I was raised with stories of brave, faithful people who were continuously brave in the face of

The Word of Wisdom

       The Word of Wisdom is a highly debated and frequently mocked (sometimes, even by members) commandment found within the faith of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As general authorities of the church have recently released a statement pertaining to it, a lot of chatter has erupted over it. As a fairly common-sense person, I wanted to break this commandment down into easy to understand pieces (even though it's already pretty clear) and help others understand it. Whether you are an active member of the church or an active criticizer, I hope to dispell some common myths and bring to light important truths. Heavenly Father's Directions        If you haven't read the Word of Wisdom yet, you can find it in  section 89 of the Doctrine and Covenants . For a quick crash course, here's a quick chart (put together by Susan Fitch) that summarizes what's being said in these scriptures:        The guidelines (things prohibited and things encoura

Be Thou an Example of the Believers

       If you didn't know, I'm a student at Boise State University studying English Education. I'm currently beginning my second semester after starting over completely on my education, and it is a blast! I am a proud bronco. This semester I have the opportunity to take an upper-level English class (World Literature) thanks to special permission granted to me by the professor, who happens to be my most favorite professor ever. To kick off the first unit, we dove into "great flood myths from around the world", picking at pieces of the Epic of Gilgamesh, Manu and the Fish, Turtle Island, and of course, Genesis. To say I was excited to read these would be an understatement. I've probably read Gilgamesh in its entirety four or five times, Genesis countless times, and the others were completely new. To be able to explore a piece of the old testament in an academic setting-especially this one-ooh! I was over the moon!         I expected the class which we&