Skip to main content

Families Are Forever



       Few things in this world bring me more peace than the knowledge that our families can be perpetuated beyond the grave. 

       Recently, my family and I lost our patriarch. He was (and continues to be) our rock, our exemplar, and our hero. He was everything to us in so many ways. It's hard to remember a single time where my grandpa wasn't there for me. He's shown up to all of my events and practices, he came over every day, and he taught us so much. I learned how to wash dishes, do the laundry, be a supportive family member, a professional, a loyal sibling, take initiative, write my name in cursive, and so much more from this man. I remember him always making sure we made it to church on Sundays when my dad worked and staying at our house from O'dark early to late at night. He was truly selfless and did everything he could to support me, my brothers, and my dad through all of our troubles. 

       Losing my grandpa has been painful, but I know the first thing I felt when I learned the news that he'd passed was a rush of spiritual strength to support those who were hurting in my family. Even though I was hurting, I knew I had divine help to be there for the rest of my family, and this divine help reminded me of the precious truth of the Plan of Happiness. Brothers and Sisters, Heavenly Father's plan assures us that our families have the ability to be together forever. 

       Heavenly Father has provided us with the priesthood, the ability to act in his name here on earth. This sweet gift empowers us and provides us the ability to enter into sacred covenants with our Heavenly Father. Baptisms and temple ordinances blessed with proper and sacred authority bring us the ability to grow and repent and be with our divine family again. Proper priesthood authority has the power to seal us to our spouses for time and all eternity. This is priceless! 

       In his infinite wisdom and mercy, Heavenly Father has also provided us with temples and the ability to perform ordinances physically on behalf of those who've passed and have not had the opportunity to enter into said saving-ordinances during their time on Earth. While those on the other side are under no obligation to accept these ordinances performed for their sake, they do have the ability to accept them and progress spiritually like they would have if they'd have accepted them on earth. This means that family members who were not sealed on earth to us can then become sealed later. These are always done respectfully and with immediate family's permission when possible. 

       Temple work is dear to me. I've been blessed to do an abundance of temple work for many people who've passed, and it's incredible to feel their appreciation as I do it. But it's because of the temple ordinances, both the covenants I have the opportunity to enter into myself, and those that I've performed for others that I find peace in the midst of a loved one's passing. 

       I know that as I continue to live the most righteous life I can, being baptized and endowed and sealed, my eternal life will be full and rich in love and joy. I will see my loved ones again, but this time in a far more peaceful place. It can be hard sometimes to know I won't be seeing them again for a while. I wish so badly that I could have given my grandpa great-grandchildren to enjoy. I wish he could have seen me graduate college and get all of the degrees I want. It means so much more to me though knowing that he will eventually get to see me and my eternal family. 

       Losing my grandfather has been difficult. But it would be so much harder if I didn't have a testimony of the priesthood and the temple. I want you all to know that it will all be okay. I know we have a lot of questions-what happens if we've honored our covenants, but a loved one we're sealed to walks away from them? What of our dear ones who had the chance to get baptized, endowed, and sealed but chose not to? We don't know what the eternities will look like specifically. However, I can tell you that I know our Heavenly Father is full of mercy for us. For everything we struggle through, he's provided us a healing balm. I know that our eternal existence will not be full of pain if we've done our individual best. We're meant for so much more happiness than an eternity of missing people we love. 

       From the accounts I've heard about life after death, I believe that all of our deceased family, no matter their spiritual status when they passed, are very busy people right now (in the best ways). I know that they are all okay. They're in good hands. I believe that they're aware of us and cheering us on as they address their responsibilities there. They're exactly where they need to be right now. 

Further Learning: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Brought Me Back to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

The Beginning        My name, Elisabeth, is the germanic variation of the Hebrew name, Elisheva (אלישבע). The meaning of my name is translated roughly to "consecrated to God" (we can do a Hebrew lesson later). This name, let me tell you, has proven to be the most beautiful, sacred aspect of my life.         God has been far kinder to me than I will ever deserve. Certainly, when I am in the celestial kingdom, I will be even more humbled having a full understanding of what all he's done on my behalf. I need to acknowledge that before I start this story. God is so merciful.         I was born into the church. My mother's a descendant of Danish pioneers who came to America with nothing but faith and then walked across the country to help settle Utah and build up the church. My dad, a marine descended from Irish immigrants, converted to the church when he was about 23 years old. I was raised with stories of brave, faithful people who were continuously brave in the face of

The Word of Wisdom

       The Word of Wisdom is a highly debated and frequently mocked (sometimes, even by members) commandment found within the faith of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As general authorities of the church have recently released a statement pertaining to it, a lot of chatter has erupted over it. As a fairly common-sense person, I wanted to break this commandment down into easy to understand pieces (even though it's already pretty clear) and help others understand it. Whether you are an active member of the church or an active criticizer, I hope to dispell some common myths and bring to light important truths. Heavenly Father's Directions        If you haven't read the Word of Wisdom yet, you can find it in  section 89 of the Doctrine and Covenants . For a quick crash course, here's a quick chart (put together by Susan Fitch) that summarizes what's being said in these scriptures:        The guidelines (things prohibited and things encoura

Be Thou an Example of the Believers

       If you didn't know, I'm a student at Boise State University studying English Education. I'm currently beginning my second semester after starting over completely on my education, and it is a blast! I am a proud bronco. This semester I have the opportunity to take an upper-level English class (World Literature) thanks to special permission granted to me by the professor, who happens to be my most favorite professor ever. To kick off the first unit, we dove into "great flood myths from around the world", picking at pieces of the Epic of Gilgamesh, Manu and the Fish, Turtle Island, and of course, Genesis. To say I was excited to read these would be an understatement. I've probably read Gilgamesh in its entirety four or five times, Genesis countless times, and the others were completely new. To be able to explore a piece of the old testament in an academic setting-especially this one-ooh! I was over the moon!         I expected the class which we&