Skip to main content

Be Thou an Example of the Believers


       If you didn't know, I'm a student at Boise State University studying English Education. I'm currently beginning my second semester after starting over completely on my education, and it is a blast! I am a proud bronco. This semester I have the opportunity to take an upper-level English class (World Literature) thanks to special permission granted to me by the professor, who happens to be my most favorite professor ever. To kick off the first unit, we dove into "great flood myths from around the world", picking at pieces of the Epic of Gilgamesh, Manu and the Fish, Turtle Island, and of course, Genesis. To say I was excited to read these would be an understatement. I've probably read Gilgamesh in its entirety four or five times, Genesis countless times, and the others were completely new. To be able to explore a piece of the old testament in an academic setting-especially this one-ooh! I was over the moon! 

       I expected the class which we'd touch on Genesis in to be fun, enlightening, and to warm up my brain to really dig into the rest of the literature we'll be exploring for the rest of the semester. At first, it was interesting! I really enjoyed exploring what all of the texts had in common and how they varied. However, about a third of the way through the class, we hit a snag (for me, at least). I hadn't spoken up yet (it's an early class!) when my favored professor made a comment that bit a little. He made the bold statement that religion's intentions (as a whole) were to control masses of people. That was a loaded statement. 

       What a situation to be in. Here I am in this early class, still half asleep when one of my heroes comes out with a statement that, regardless of how he intended for it to come across, attacked not only my faith but by extension my character. How could I proceed? I knew by the looks on the faces of the other people in the class that if I had spoken up to defend my religion and tried to divert the class from the real main topic of discussion my argument would be awkwardly dismissed. I didn't want to give a pointless argument in defense of my faith, my prophet, my savior, my god...all of that deserved a much more profound effective defense. 


       My emotions went from startled by the fact that I respected the man who seemed to hold disdain for faith in general to a cool calm. I knew how I could do the right thing, and in the right way. 

       I remembered a promise Heavenly Father had offered me once, that I would be able to receive the education I desired so that I could contribute to the kingdom of God in a variety of capacities. Thanks to my upbringing and general fascination of where humans have been and how we managed to get to where we are, I knew a fair amount about the old testament (I wouldn't say I was an advanced scholar by any means, but I definitely wield a good blade of information). Heavenly Father also blessed me with an analytical mind and a pretty fantastic reading comprehension ability. These things didn't come together for me to boldly stand in the middle of class and create a moment out of a cringe-y Christian movie. Rather, they became applicable as we continued to discuss the actual text. I was able to teach truths in a way that not only added to the class but reflected a far more honest light on my faith. I jokingly introduced myself as the class's token LDS person and spoke of Christ and his sacrifice. I explored some of the intricacies found within the Abrahamic faith and spoke of unique things that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints frequently acknowledges that other various Abrahamic sects may not touch on very frequently. How fun is it to be able to testify of precious truths and have them actually be relevant to your class? 

       Did I convert anyone to Christ in that class? No, probably not. However, I know that I am one of the many children Heavenly Father has blessed with the knowledge of the gospel, along with the ability to recognize its influence and the ability to teach and inform. With those blessings comes the sacred duty to bring others unto Christ. Most of the time we are called to do this in more comfortable/predictable ways, like nurturing our families, aiding the sick, caring for our friends and neighbors, and other everyday normalcies. The time comes though when we have to use those gifts in awkward, uncomfortable, and sometimes downright unpleasant moments. We should prepare ourselves to rise to those occasions. 



       When I spoke of Christ, faithfully and reverently, I was an example to those in my classroom of what it meant to be a believer of Christ. I may not have been the first member of Christ's church that they'd met, but I was one of them, and would forever be remembered as a believer in the minds of my classmates. 

       As believers of Christ, we are charged not only with the responsibility of living faithfully and remembering him always, but to feed his sheep and bring all of our brothers and sisters unto Christ. This often doesn't look like active testifying and baptizing. Our kindness and charity for others, our living habits, and especially the way we handle adversity are all huge ways we share our testimony of Christ, and those are just a few! 

       Each member can be an example of the believers. Brethren, as followers of Jesus Christ, each of you can live in accord with His teachings. You can have “a pure heart and clean hands”; you can have “the image of God engraven upon your [countenance].”10 Your good works will be evident to others.11 The light of the Lord can beam from your eyes.12 With that radiance, you had better prepare for questions. The Apostle Peter so counseled, “Be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you.”-President Russel M. Nelson in his talk, Be Thou an Example of the Believers

       Prepare to be a Witness of God at all Times, in all Things, and in all Places



       This dispensation is the time to turn our hearts, as well as the hearts of our brethren, to Jesus Christ. While we must share the gospel and encourage those who come along our paths to follow Him, we must also fill up our own cups with a strong testimony of the savior. 

       How do we develop testimonies? By doing the leg work! Read the scriptures often, they have Heavenly Father's words for all of us within them. Pray always, that's how you can communicate with your Father in Heaven. Pray especially to be able to recognize the spirit as it speaks to you. Attend church when you can, that's where you can renew covenants, learn with your ward and share your knowledge. Church is a wonderful place to practice sharing your testimony! Strive to honor your covenants and prepare to make new ones. Living our beliefs with integrity is the only way we can continue to develop and nurture our testimonies and prepare to lead others to Christ. 

       Now behold, a amarvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men. Therefore, O ye that embark in the aservice of God, see that ye bserve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand cblameless before God at the last day. Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are acalled to the work; For behold the afield is white already to bharvest; and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in cstore that he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul; And afaithbhopeccharity and dlove, with an eeye single to the fglory of God, gqualify him for the work. Remember faith, avirtue, knowledge, btemperancecpatiencedbrotherly ekindnessfgodliness, charity, ghumilityhdiligenceAsk, and ye shall receive; bknock, and it shall be opened unto you. Amen. (D&C 4)

The Lord Will be With You

"And the Lord, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be awith thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed." (Deuteronomy 31:8)


       It's not always easy to stand as a witness, both in the little things we do or as a defender of the faith. These days if you don't think exactly the same way as someone else, you're written off, ostracized, or attacked. Having lived both in and out of the church, I can tell you it's definitely a scary world out there, filled with angry people filled with hate. It can be daunting! All of that taken into account, I can promise that as long as you stand firmly on the Lord's side, you'll be just fine in the end. 

       It is far more worth it to suffer as a believer in this world and hear your Heavenly Father say "Well done, thou good and faithful aservant: thou hast been bfaithful over a few things, I will make thee cruler over many things: enter thou into the djoy of thy lord." (Matthew 25:21) after this life than it will be to blend in with fickle friends only to look into the Lord's face, knowing the sacrifice that was made for you and how little you were willing to do in return. Kind of harsh, I know. Still, the Savior gave his life for all of us and is willing to stand by you as you defend the faith and share your testimony of Him. With the Lord on your side, there's no way you can fail! What then could stand in the way of you rising above and allowing your light to shine before men?




       The world becomes more difficult for righteousness to dwell in. Nevertheless, the Lord overcame the world so that we can also overcome. I know that the Savior gave his life so that we all would not live and suffer in vain. What's more, I know he would have done it even if it had been for me alone. He would have done it even if it were for you alone, too. This is the most precious of truths to know, and I wish everyone could hear it and believe. I can't stop every person I see in the hallway and hand them a copy of the Book of Mormon, a beloved account of our savior filled with the word of God intended to turn their hearts to Christ. I can't explain to everyone the answers I have to their questions and doubts. I can't give them the open mind and desire to learn of Him. I can set an example, though. I can magnify Christ bravely in all that I do. I can know the truth for myself and live righteously, prepared for the few who I will be called to share the gospel with or buoy up with my own testimony. And I am grateful to know that is enough. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Brought Me Back to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

The Beginning        My name, Elisabeth, is the germanic variation of the Hebrew name, Elisheva (אלישבע). The meaning of my name is translated roughly to "consecrated to God" (we can do a Hebrew lesson later). This name, let me tell you, has proven to be the most beautiful, sacred aspect of my life.         God has been far kinder to me than I will ever deserve. Certainly, when I am in the celestial kingdom, I will be even more humbled having a full understanding of what all he's done on my behalf. I need to acknowledge that before I start this story. God is so merciful.         I was born into the church. My mother's a descendant of Danish pioneers who came to America with nothing but faith and then walked across the country to help settle Utah and build up the church. My dad, a marine descended from Irish immigrants, converted to the church when he was about 23 years old. I was raised with stories of brave, faithful people who were continuously brave in the face of

The Word of Wisdom

       The Word of Wisdom is a highly debated and frequently mocked (sometimes, even by members) commandment found within the faith of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As general authorities of the church have recently released a statement pertaining to it, a lot of chatter has erupted over it. As a fairly common-sense person, I wanted to break this commandment down into easy to understand pieces (even though it's already pretty clear) and help others understand it. Whether you are an active member of the church or an active criticizer, I hope to dispell some common myths and bring to light important truths. Heavenly Father's Directions        If you haven't read the Word of Wisdom yet, you can find it in  section 89 of the Doctrine and Covenants . For a quick crash course, here's a quick chart (put together by Susan Fitch) that summarizes what's being said in these scriptures:        The guidelines (things prohibited and things encoura