Skip to main content

Repentance: What I've Learned Upon Returning to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints




       July 15th, 2017 I entered the LDS temple in Rexburg, Idaho to receive my endowments. I approached it with hope that this experience would strengthen my relationship with our Heavenly Father, and that I would receive a special personal testimony of my unique identity and role in Heavenly Father's great plan of happiness. Instead, I found myself feeling sick, broken, and confused. After weeks of prayer and intense study and contemplation in an attempt to salvage my testimony, I had to step away from the church (and spirituality as a whole). A few short months later, I elected to leave the church, officially, in an attempt to remain honest with myself and others. It seemed like the thing a person with integrity would do.

        Fast forward a year and a half later, and I find myself turning back to Christ. A desperate plea to forgive those who had viciously crossed me and the need to understand some personal spiritual experiences led me to prayer and that prayer confirmed to me that Heavenly Father was real, that Christ had atoned for my sins, and that the time had come for me to return to the fold.



       The Lord Rewards Righteous Action

        But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? James 2:20

        As soon as that sliver of faith was restored by the spirit answering my prayers, I knew I had to take steps toward reconciling with Heavenly Father and place myself back on His path. I wasn't sure where exactly that was, but I knew I was going to get there. 

       In my time out of the church, I had strayed quite far and lost so much of my spiritual insight. I had broken the word of wisdom, spoken out openly against the church for its many injustices I had mistakenly perceived, and was generally disrespectful towards God, amongst so many other things. I knew I had much to repent for. As I approached the Lord, I felt His love. The path before me was revealed. I was blessed with a restored testimony, answers to questions, loving friends and family, and help to do all that I can do. 

       I am an action-oriented person. If I believe in something, I have to do something about that. As my faith grew, I continued to take steps to repent-I'd fasted, met with (the sweetest!) missionaries, returned to church, studied scriptures, and did what I could to learn of Heavenly Father and His plan for me. 

       "A change of mind and heart that brings a fresh attitude toward God, oneself, and life in general." (Definition of Repentance)

       My understanding of repentance grew so much during this time. Before, I viewed it as begging God for mercy, confessing how I'd messed up and hoping He would forgive me and go easy on the consequences. Now I recognize repentance as the simple act of learning. When we turn our hearts to Christ and put our strength in our faith rather than our own understanding, and when we utilize the atonement to overcome our weaknesses, that is repentance. I was not bracing myself for punishment from God. I was saying "I understand better now. Can you help me live this and correct what I can?" 

       Everything You Experience is Part of God's Plan

       Know ye not that ye are in the ahands of God? Mormon 5:23
       
       Looking back now, I can very easily see God's hand in every single thing that I experienced. I understood why I'd had those feelings I had in the temple, the people who'd entered into my life their interactions with me, right down to the very moment I knelt down in prayer. I know that no matter what I do, the Lord is with me. We can never stray so far that the Lord would not know us and bless us. He is constantly teaching us and blessing us with the things that we need. 



       The knowledge I have of Christ's atonement and Heavenly Father's Plan of Salvation has shielded me from shame and feelings of inadequacy. Many I've talked to assume that I would be embarrassed to have made the decision to leave the church, or that I'd feel stupid for having left the church. Many who've repented for greater sins have a constant feeling of guilt and have not let themselves off the hook, years after the transgression and repentance has taken place. 

       It is my testimony that Christ offers the healing powers of the atonement freely, graciously, and without anger or disappointment in any of us. The purpose of our earthly experience is to grow, gain testimony and experience, and prepare for the next phase in our eternal existence. We are expected to make mistakes. There are many things we will have to learn from experience rather than from obedience alone. Christ's sacrifice for us was the key for our suffering and mistakes to have a purpose, for healing to be possible, and for us to be able to move on and strengthen our spirits. I can only feel immense gratitude when I apply the atonement to my own life. 

       Our lives should be testaments to the reality of the atonement. We should not be hard on ourselves because we are immortal beings having a mortal experience. If allowed to wallow in our personal shame, we can easily slip into allowing our negative feelings toward ourselves to tear us away from prayer, scripture study, church, and our personal relationship with Heavenly Father. There is no length we can stray that the atonement will not cover. When we make mistakes, no matter how awful we may believe the sin to be or how stupid we might feel or how wrong we might have been, staying close to the Lord, re-committing to honor our covenants, and turning our hearts to Christ with a willingness to learn and try again can only bring healing.



       It is my hope for each and every person on this earth that they will never let a stumbling block along the road to exaltation keep them down. May we all continue to strive to build ourselves and each other up. May we have faith not only in God but in God's vision for all of us.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Brought Me Back to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

The Beginning        My name, Elisabeth, is the germanic variation of the Hebrew name, Elisheva (אלישבע). The meaning of my name is translated roughly to "consecrated to God" (we can do a Hebrew lesson later). This name, let me tell you, has proven to be the most beautiful, sacred aspect of my life.         God has been far kinder to me than I will ever deserve. Certainly, when I am in the celestial kingdom, I will be even more humbled having a full understanding of what all he's done on my behalf. I need to acknowledge that before I start this story. God is so merciful.         I was born into the church. My mother's a descendant of Danish pioneers who came to America with nothing but faith and then walked across the country to help settle Utah and build up the church. My dad, a marine descended from Irish immigrants, converted to the church when he was about 23 years old. I was raised with stories of brave, faithful people who were continuously brave in the face of

The Word of Wisdom

       The Word of Wisdom is a highly debated and frequently mocked (sometimes, even by members) commandment found within the faith of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As general authorities of the church have recently released a statement pertaining to it, a lot of chatter has erupted over it. As a fairly common-sense person, I wanted to break this commandment down into easy to understand pieces (even though it's already pretty clear) and help others understand it. Whether you are an active member of the church or an active criticizer, I hope to dispell some common myths and bring to light important truths. Heavenly Father's Directions        If you haven't read the Word of Wisdom yet, you can find it in  section 89 of the Doctrine and Covenants . For a quick crash course, here's a quick chart (put together by Susan Fitch) that summarizes what's being said in these scriptures:        The guidelines (things prohibited and things encoura

Be Thou an Example of the Believers

       If you didn't know, I'm a student at Boise State University studying English Education. I'm currently beginning my second semester after starting over completely on my education, and it is a blast! I am a proud bronco. This semester I have the opportunity to take an upper-level English class (World Literature) thanks to special permission granted to me by the professor, who happens to be my most favorite professor ever. To kick off the first unit, we dove into "great flood myths from around the world", picking at pieces of the Epic of Gilgamesh, Manu and the Fish, Turtle Island, and of course, Genesis. To say I was excited to read these would be an understatement. I've probably read Gilgamesh in its entirety four or five times, Genesis countless times, and the others were completely new. To be able to explore a piece of the old testament in an academic setting-especially this one-ooh! I was over the moon!         I expected the class which we&